Artist: Alexander Phimister Proctor
Date: 1918, installed 1919
This sculpture, located across from Johnson Hall, in between Friendly and Fenton Hall, was dedicated with great ceremony in May 1919. The sculptor, Alexander Phimister Proctor (1862-1950), used a trapper from near Burns, Oregon, as his model. The 1918 bronze statue, mounted on a base of McKenzie River basalt, was a gift of Joseph N. Teal, Portland attorney.
In the early twentieth century there was a movement across the country to install pioneer statues to valorize the achievements of pioneers. Proctor, the sculptor, made several of these monuments. He had the idea for this statue and searched for ten years to find the right model. After he found J.C. Cravens, he went to Joseph Teal, who agreed to fund the statue and it became the fist statue on campus.
In 1919, the President of the Oregon Historical Society made a speech at the dedication that extolled the virtues of the Anglo-Saxon race. In the speech he stated, "the Anglo-Saxon race is a branch of the Teutonic race. It was and is a liberty-loving race. It believes in the protection of life and of liberty an in the rights of property and the pursuit of happiness. This race has large powers of assimilation, and its great ideas of liberty and of the rights of mankind caused other races to become a part of it, so it became a people as well as a race."
Due to these controversial statements, various students and faculty have worked to bring awareness about this issue and reveal the history and statements surrounding the statue. See the "related sources" section below for a list of these articles and research projects.
As additional projects and reactions to the history of the statue are completed we will share them here on this project site.